How to safari...

Now that I've got a couple of books out of the way (I'm releasing three this year and working on a new on for next year), I'm back to doing a spot of blogging.

Here's my latest missive, which is currently running African Geographic's online Safari Interactive magazine here.

It's about the merits of staying in a private game lodge or private reserve and being driven around the bush by an expert guide, versus doing it yourself on a self drive safari in a national park.  There are ups and downs for both.

I've also thrown in a few pictures from a recent stay at the lovely Tanda Tula lodge in the Timbavati Private Game Reserve.  I had some truly sensational game viewing there.

Here's a taste:

Lion at Tanda Tula.

Comments

Timepilot said…
Interesting article Tony. We tend to do most of ours as self drive staying in the camps (in Kruger for example) but do try and fit in a 2 or 3 night "luxury" stay as well.
Even in Botswana I've found that you can do a relatively good self drive in places like Moremi, Savuti and Chobe (with the right vehicle) but to go on the Chobe river or in the delta you really need to use a guide.

Lucky you with a place there - we looked at it but did not want to put such a large investment into SA at this time - even though we are both from there!