An Empty Coast

An Empty Coast
My latest novel

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

The land of the long white sheep

Those of you, Legion of Fans, who are not related to me may not know my family secret.  I am a multi national.  As well as an Australian passport I have a British one (courtesy of my Welsh father), and...  a New Zealand passport, courtesy of my (Australian) mother and father meeting on the ski slopes of Mt Ruapehu many years ago.
 
I'll admit, LOF, growing up in Australia - as a naturalised Australian I hasten to add - there was a tendency for me to deny my origins, lest I become the butt of various unsavoury jokes and barefaced insults.
 
However, that all changed a few years ago when I found out that New Zealanders did not need a visa to enter Zimbabwe.  In fact, a New Zealand passport, to which I was entitled, was actually cheaper than the cost of a visa for my Aussie or Brit passports.  So, I embraced my kiwi-ness wholeheartedly and applied online for my third travel document. 
 
These days, however, New Zealanders have to pay for a visa into Zim, but I'm still proud to say I'm the owner of three passports.  You can never have too many, I say (particularly as I have been known to lose the odd one over the years).
 
What I did not expect, however, as Mrs Blog and I entered Zimbabwe from South Africa this week at the Beitbridge border post, was for the much vaunted Zimbabwean inspector of customs to say, on checking my passport: "Ah, the land of the many sheep hahahahahahahahahahahahaha."

4 comments :

ali g said...

Oh Dear let the sheep out of the bag now..
So next Q.
What's got 6 legs and runs around a Kiwi's sheep paddock?
A.
Realy , really, really just dont want to know!

Hann said...

ha ha, too funny!

meggie said...

Be careful... I understand there is a new movie about Killer Sheep!

ali g said...

yep... puts a whole new meaning on the word 'kickback'...doesn't it!